Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Good Day!

Ya know those days? The ones that you find yourself smiling through? Today has been one of those days...a good day! It started with a good workout this morning, fun in the sun all afternoon, a good report from Olivia's dance teacher, "She's a good dancer-very focused-and we should think about putting her into a competition class", (How about first things first - like getting through Kindergarten?), some fabulous fajitas for dinner and, after dinner, Olivia let me pull her second tooth with a needle-nose pliers, the way my dad did with us kids!!


But two things in particular gave this day the "good" title: the kids' little sunbathing setup and the drip system that I installed all by myself!


As I was installing our new drip system (keep in mind it was already piped, I just installed all the drips and hoses) the kids were in the backyard playing and minding their own business. I go inside to get a tool and come back out to find them propped up in their chairs, using the patio table set ottomans for foot rests, eating a bowl of banana chips and drinking from big cups of ice water! I couldn't stop laughing...as though they were 80 years old in a Florida retirement home reminiscing the good ol' days! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.


And as far as the drip system goes...it just gave me such an amazing sense of accomplishment and capability. I have been putting it off for over a year, terrified that I wouldn't be able to figure it out and would have to call a landscaper. I finally realized that I really should figure it out before we leave for Peter's art trip so that our roses don't die. I can't believe I figured it out. We Piersma's truly do have the "Do-it-yourself" gene! And our rose tree just bloomed it's first, big, red, fragrant rose...it's been a good day. (Should I be worried about tomorrow?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job Rachelle! It's such a good way to post stories & pics.

I don't know if you know about "labels" or not -- you can give your posts a "label" or category of sorts. That way if a reader wants to see all the posts in a particular category, s/he can click on the label and it will bring all of those up. For instance, if people want to read about our Italy trip, they could click on my Italy 2007 label and all of those posts about Italy would pull up on the same screen. It can also help you locate an older post pretty easily. Just a thought.